Monday, April 10, 2017

Storytime: Bunnies

Books


index.aspx index.aspx index.aspx
9780062095619_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg index.aspx index.aspx

Hop by Jorey Hurley
*The Wonderful Habits of Rabbits  by Douglas Florian
~*Everbunny Dance! by Ellie Sandall
~Little White Rabbit by Kevin Henkes
~What Does Bunny See? by Linda Sue Park
Bunny’s Book Club by Annie Silvestro

Books marked with ~ were used for my toddler storytime, books marked with * were used for my all ages storytime. At my library though, there's very little different between the two storytimes as far as the ages that show up. They might as well both be all ages! Everbunny Dance! is one of my new favorite storytime reads. It's fantastic if you have a high energy crowd. There are not only lots of prompts to dance, sing, clap, and move around but also to be quiet and still. This is one that I'll probably buy for my storytime collection so I always have it on hand. Bunny's Book Club is really too long for my storytime group, it might work better for an older group during an outreach storytime, but it was too cute for me to not to include on my list of bunny books. The Wonderful Habits of Rabbits is a great book with rhyming text. The rhymes are always across two facing pages and there isn't a real plot, just a list of things bunnies like to do, which makes it very easy to skip pages if your group is squirmy and you want to make things go a little faster, like I did today. There are so many great bunny books available, which makes it a super fun theme for storytimes!

For extension activities, click read more.

Songs and Rhymes

Action Song: “Bunny Pokey”

(Tune: Hokey Pokey)

You put your bunny ears in, You put your bunny ears out,
You put your bunny ears in and you wiggle all about.
You do the bunny-pokey, and you hop yourself around,
That’s what it’s all about!


Verses: bunny tail, bunny foot, bunny nose, hop your whole self

Action Song: “If You’re Hoppy and You Know It”

(Tune: If You’re Happy and You Know It)

If you’re hoppy and you know it, hop around
If you’re hoppy and you know it, hop around
If you’re hoppy and you know it
And you really want to show it
If you’re hoppy and you know it, hop around.


Verses: shake your tail, stomp your feet, flop your ears, wiggle your nose

Source: Adapted from Fisher-Price Easter Sing-Along

Action Song: “Little Bunny Foo Foo"

Little bunny Foo Foo
hopping through the forest
Scooping up the field mice and bopping them on the head
Down came the good fairy and she said,
"Little bunny Foo Foo, I don't want to see you
Scooping up the field mice and bopping them on the head.
I'll give you three chances and if you don't obey
I'll turn you into a goon!


Verses: Count down to one and then have the fairy POOF turn Foo Foo into a goon.

And the moral of that story is "Hare today, goon tomorrow!"

Source: Childhood

Action/Transition Rhyme: “Funny Bunny Hop”

Funny, little bunny goes hop, hop, hop!
Funny little bunny please stop, stop, stop!
Wiggle your ears and crinkle your nose.
Then wiggle, wiggle, wiggle right down to your toes.


Flannelboards and Fingerplays

Flannelboard: “Five Little Rabbits”

Five little rabbits sitting by the door.
One hopped away, and then there were four.

Four little rabbits under a tree.
One hopped away, and then there were three.

Three little rabbits drinking morning dew.
One hopped away, and then there were two.

Two little rabbits resting in the sun.
One hopped away, and then there was one.

One little rabbit isn’t any fun.
He hopped away to find the others,
and then there were none.

Fingerplay “Here is a Bunny”

Here is a bunny (hold up two fingers slightly bent)
And here is his home in the ground (make circle with other hand)
When a noise he hears, he pricks up his ears (straighten fingers)
And he jumps to his home in the ground (two fingers dive into circle)


Source: Sunflower Storytime


Craft


I didn't do much for the craft today, which was just as well because I only had two kids show up for the all ages storytime. I printed out bunny silhouettes to color and put out cotton balls and pompoms to use glue on for tails. No complex craft today, but sometimes you need days where the craft is super simple!

How it Went


I had a lot of fun with this storytime, mostly because I absolutely loved Everybunny Dance! Bunnies are always a fun theme because they are cute and cuddly and most young children are already quite familiar with them. There were a lot of kids at the toddler storytime. They, like me, seemed to enjoy Everybunny Dance! the most out of all of the books we read. One of the two children at my all ages storytime started singing "Little Bunny Foo Foo" as soon as she heard the theme for the day so that made it easy to transition into the song! The other child there that day wanted to sing some songs that weren't on my list and since there were just two kids there, I figured why not be accommodating, so I deviated some from my plan and sang "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and "Seals on the Bus" with them, though I made sure to have bunnies on the bus too! I still want to make a song cube for times like that so I can have an easy and fun way to incorporate some of the storytime favorite songs even if they don't necessarily match my theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment