Friday, July 27, 2018

Storytime: Camping

Books


Scare a Bear by Kathy-jo Wargin
Camping Day by Patricia Lakin
Sheep Take a Hike by Nancy Shaw
Maisy Goes Camping by Lucy Cousins
Do Princesses Make happy Campers? by Carmela LaVigna Coyle
A Camping Spree with Mr. Magee by Chris Van Dusen

Camping was a fun theme for the summer months. Most of the children had been camping before so they could tell me what kinds of things they did while camping and what foods were good for cooking over a fire. I expanded the theme a little to include outdoor activities like hiking to have more book options to choose from.

For extension activities click read more.


Songs and Rhymes

Action Song: “Pop, pop, pop”

Pop, pop, pop
Put the corn in the pot
Pop, pop, pop
Shake it 'til it's hot
Pop, pop, pop
Lift the lid and what have you got?
Popcorn!


Source: I learned this from the previous children's librarian at my library

Action Song: “Campfire Pokey”

(Tune: Hokey Pokey)

You put your marshmallow in, You take your marshmallow out,
You put your marshmallow in and you shake it all about,
You do the campfire pokey, and you turn yourself about,
And that's what it's all about, hey!

Verses: hot dog, potato, apple, popcorn, and anything else that you can roast over the campfire.

You put your whole dinner in, You take your whole dinner out,

You put your whole dinner in, and you shake it all about,
You do the campfire pokey, and you turn yourself about,
And that's what its all about, yum, yum!

Source: Preschool Education

Action Song: “Going camping”

(Tune: I’m a Little Teapot))

I am going camping.
(point thumbs proudly to chest)
Time to pack
(point to wristwatch)
My tent, my bedroll,
(Make tent with hands; then fold hands to cheek.)
And a snack.
(Pretend to eat)

I'll sit by the campfire
(warm hands over fire.)
Its glow so bright.
(Fan and wiggle fingers to resemble fire.)
Then snooze in my tent
(Pretend to snore.)
'Til the morning light!
(Open eyes wide, forming sun over head.)


Source: Preschool Education

Action Song: “The Other Day I Met a Bear”

The other day, I met a bear.
Oh way up there, a great big bear!
The other day I met a bear,
A great big bear, oh way up there!

He looked at me, I looked at him.
He sized me up, I sized up him.
He looked at me, I looked at him.
He sized me up, I sized up him.

And so I ran, away from there.
But right behind, me came that bear.
And so I ran away from there,
But right behind me came that bear.

Ahead of me, I saw a tree,
A great big tree, oh, golly gee!
Ahead of me there was a tree,
A great big tree, oh, golly gee!

The lowest branch, was ten feet up.
I had to jump, and trust my luck.
The lowest branch was ten feet up,
I had to jump and trust my luck.

And so I jumped, into the air,
And missed that branch, oh way up there.
And so I jumped into the air,
And missed that branch oh way up there.

Now don’t you fret, and don’t you frown.
‘Cause I caught that branch, on that way back down.
Now don’t you fret and don’t your frown, ‘
Cause I caught that branch on the way back down.

That’s all there is. There is no more.
Until I meet, that bear once more.
That’s all there is, this is the end,
Unless I meet that bear again!

Source: I learned this as a girl scout a long time ago. Here is a video with the tune. The lyrics may differ slightly and I left out the verse about the gun.

Though not about camping, this is a traditional camp song, and went along with the Scare a Bear book.

Action/Transition Rhyme: “By the Campfire”

We sat around the campfire
On a chilly night (hug self)
Telling spooky stories
In the pale moonlight (look up to the sky)
Then we added some more logs,
To make the fire bright,
And sang some favorite camp songs
Together with all our might. (extend arms outward)
And when the fire flickered
And embers began to form.
We snuggled in our sleeping bags
All cozy, tired, and warm. (lie on ground, hug self)

Source: Preschool Education

Flannelboards and Fingerplays

Flannelboard: “Bear in the Lair”
“Sleepy bear, sleepy bear, are you in the (color) lair?”

Source: Written by me!

Though not really about camping, I figured the bear flannelboard was thematically appropriate since I had both a book and a song relating to a bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment