Monday, June 4, 2018

Storytime: Families

Books


The Family Book by Todd Parr
One Family by George Shannon
Families, Families, Families by Suzanne Lang
Love Me Tender by Elvis Presley and illustrated by Stephanie Graegin
Littles and How They Grow by Kelly DiPucchio
We Are Family by Patricia Hegarty

I did this storytime around Valentine's Day. I never do holiday specific storytimes, but I still sometimes like to have themes inspired by holidays. What better way to celebrate love than talking about all different kinds of families? I tried to choose books that showed a lot of non-traditional families and diverse groups of people. I did a mix of songs and rhymes about both families and love.

Click read more for family related extension activities!

Songs and Rhymes

Action Song: “Skinnamarink”

Skinnamarinky dinky dink,
(Put right elbow in  left hand and wiggle fingers)
Skinnamarinky doo,
(Put left elbow in right hand and wiggle fingers)
I love you.
(Point to eyes, hug yourself, and point to others)

Skinnamarinky dinky dink,
(Repeat actions)
Skinnamarinky doo,
I love you.

I love you in the morning,
(Make a big circle over head  like the sun)
And in the afternoon,
(Hold arms in circle out in front of you)
I love you in the evening,
(Move arms in circle down)
And underneath the moon.
(Release arms and make another big circle over head)

Skinnamarinky dinky dink,
Skinamarinky doo,
I love you.

Song: “If You Love Someone and You Know It”

(Tune: "If you’re happy and you know it")

If you love someone and you know it, Clap your hands.
If you love someone and you know it, Clap your hands.
If you love someone and you know it,
And you really want to show it.
If you love someone and you know it, Clap your hands.

Verses: Say "I Love you", Blow a kiss, Give a hug

Source: Made up by me

Action Song: ‘If you have a brother”

(Tune: Mary Had a Little Lamb)

If you have a brother
A brother, a brother
If you have a brother
Please stand up right now!

Verses: Repeat with other family members

Action song: “Love Love Love”

(Tune: 3 Blind Mice)

Love, love, love, love, love, love
See how it grows, See how it grows.
I love my friends and they love me.
We love each other that's plain to see.
There's plenty for a big family.
Love, love, love, love, love, love.

Source: Everything Preschool

Action/Transition Rhyme: These are Grandma's Glasses

These are Grandma's glasses.   Make "glasses" over eyes with fingers.
This is Grandma's hat.   Place hands close together over head.
And this is the way she folds her hands   Clasp hands together.
And lays them in her lap.   Place hands in lap.

These are Grandpa's glasses.   Make "glasses" over eyes with fingers.
This is Grandpa's hat.   Place hands farther apart over head.
And this is the way he folds his arms   Cross arms.
And takes a little nap.   Place head on arms, as if sleeping.

Flannelboards and Fingerplays


Flannelboard: “H-E-A-R-T”

(Tune: BINGO)

To show you love your family,
Just give them each a heart.
H-E-A-R-T, H-E-A-R-T,
H-E-A-R-T,
Each heart means I love you!

Source: Modified from Everything Preschool

No comments:

Post a Comment