Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Storytime: School

Books

index.aspx index.aspx index.aspx
index.aspx index.aspx index.aspx

Bob and Flo by Rebecca Ashdown
Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes by Eric Litwin
Maisy Goes to Preschool by Lucy Cousins
Dad’s First Day by Mike Wohnoutka
Wow! School! by Robert Neubecker
Rosie Goes to Preschool by Karen Katz

Because of some weird scheduling I had one storytime theme that I was only doing with the all ages group and not the toddlers. This one happened right around the time that school started here. Yes, this has been sitting in my drafts folder since September! Most of the children who come to the all ages class are between three and five years old. I figured they will be graduating up to pre-k and kindergarten soon and many of them have older siblings just starting school so a school theme would be fun for them! Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes was definitely the favorite for this storytime. I didn't show a video or play the song but I definitely sang the words in the book with the official tune:



Kids and caregivers were snapping and clapping along with the rhythm. It was so much fun!

For school themed extension activities click read more.

Songs and Rhymes

Action Song: “Wheels on the Bus”
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
Round and round,
Round and round.
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
On the way to school

The wipers on the bus go swish, swish, swish

The horn on the bus go beep, beep, beep


The doors on the bus go open and shut


The driver on the bus says
Move on back”

The kids on the bus wave goodbye...when they get to school!

Ukulele Song: “Mary Had a Little Lamb”

Mary had a little lamb,
Little lamb, little lamb,
Mary had a little lamb,
Its fleece was white as snow

Everywhere that Mary went,
Mary went, Mary went,
Everywhere that Mary went
The lamb was sure to go

It followed her to school one day
School one day, school one day
It followed her to school one day
Which was against the rules.

It made the children laugh and play,
Laugh and play, laugh and play,
It made the children laugh and play
To see a lamb at school


Source: Traditional

I've outlined the ukulele chords for Mary Had a Little Lamb” in a previous post, but here is my chord chart again if you need it!

Action/Transition Rhyme: “Stretching and Counting”
Touch the floor and count to four
1-2-3-4
Stretch up high and count to five
1-2-3-4-5
Now let’s sit and count to six
1-2-3-4-5-6


Source: I wrote this one myself!

Flannelboards and Fingerplays


Flannelboard: “Down in the Classroom”

(Tune: Down Around the Corner)

Down in the classroom on my teacher’s shelf
There are five little books, I can read by myself.
When I’m bored and want something to read,
I take one book, it’s just what I need!

Verses: Count down to one

Source: I wrote this one myself!

I previously used this flannelboard for my library themed storytime and just modified the song slightly to fit a school theme instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment