Thursday, November 30, 2017

Storytime: Dinosaurs II

Books


Stomp, Dinosaur, Stomp! by Margaret Mayo
Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones by Byron Barton
I am NOT a Dinosaur by Will Lach
Dinosaurs from Head to Tail by Stacey Roderick
Dinosaur Roar! by Paul and Henrietta Stickland
Tyrannosaurus Rex vs Edna the very First Chicken by Douglas Rees

I have a big backlog of storytme posts still sitting in my drafts, but this one was easy to get ready to post since I didn't have to take any new photographs for it and there was minimal formatting that needed to be done. As such, I'm posting it first and hoping I can get through some of my backlog in the next couple weeks!

This is my second time doing a dinosaur theme. I was going to wait about a year to recycle any themes, but I saw other librarians doing dinosaur themes for Dinovember and I couldn't resist! I used a lot of the same extension activities from my first dinosaur storytime, but I used a completely different set of books and found some new songs and rhymes as well. When I do dinosaur themed storytimes, I like to not have books that include dinosaurs and humans living together and also love to use books that have multiple dinosaur names included as well as nonfiction titles. I am NOT a Dinosaur was a great title to use because it outlines some prehistoric creatures that are often mistakenly identified as dinosaurs (like pteranodon and plesiosaur) which is a great teaching opportunity!

Click read more for the new dinosaur songs and rhymes I found!

Songs and Rhymes

Action Song: “Dino-Pokey”

You put your claws in,
You put your claws out,
You put your claws in,
And you scratch 'em all about.
You do the dino pokey,
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!
Verses: You stomp your feet in, You swish your tail in…

Source: Library Village

Action Song: “I’m a Mean Old Dinosaur”
(Tune: I’m a Little Tea Pot)

I’m a mean old Dinosaur  (Make a mean face)
Big and tall  (Gesture hands big and tall )
Here is my tail, (Gesture hands behind your back for tail)
here is my claw.  (Make claw hands)
When I get all hungry  (rub your tummy)
I just growl  (Growl)
Look out kids, I’m on the prowl. (Roar!)

Source: Gayle's Preschool Rainbow
I used my Tyrannosaurus Rex puppet (named Rex, of course) with this one, which worked out great until the end when the big roar scared one of the younger girls in the group! Her mom said it was probably just the sudden loud noise that all the kids made and not the puppet, but definitely something to be mindful of!

Flannelboards and Fingerplays


Flannelboard: “Five Dinosaurs Went Out to Play”
(Tune: One Elephant Went Out to Play)

One dinosaur went out to play
In a giant swamp one day
She had such enormous fun
That she called for another dinosaur to come:

Raise hands to cup mouth, and call loudly: Oh, Diiiiiiiiiinosaur!
Verses: Count up to five

Five dinosaurs went out to play
In a giant swamp one day
They had such enormous fun
That they played until the day was done!


Source: Librarian is on the Loose

I used the same flannelboard from my last dinosaur storytime, but found a new rhyme that also works with it. This rhyme will be added to my dinosaur flannelboard post. You could use both rhymes together, time permitting, this one to count up to five and the previous rhyme to count down and remove all the dinosaurs from the board!

Craft


I forgot to come up with a craft for this storytime until last minute, so I just used the same craft from my previous dinosaur storytime. I figured it had been long enough that the kids wouldn't remember and I have a lot of new kids coming to storytimes now who didn't get to do the paper plate dinosaurs previously!

In addition to crafts I like putting out coloring sheets to go with the theme. I don't usually bother linking to those since I just do a quick google search for coloring sheets and pick whichever one suits my needs, but I found a great site for dinosaur coloring sheets that I thought I would share: www.dinosaur-coloring.com I love that the sheets list the name of the dinosaur along with the picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment