Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Art in Action: Frida Kahlo

Books

index.aspx index.aspx
index.aspx index.aspx index.aspx

Frida Kahlo: The Artist Who Painted Herself by Margaret Frith
Me, Frida by Amy Novesky
Frida Kahlo by Ma Isabel Sanchez Vegara
Frida by Jonah Winter
Frida: Viva La Vida! Long Live Life! by Carmen T. Bernier-Grand
Viva Frida by Yuyi Morales

This was the second Art in Action program I ran, but it has taken me this long to get it up on the blog. I'm hoping to get at least some of my backlog of posts up during the holidays when I have some time off work and storytimes!

Frida Kahlo is one of my favorite artists. She has beautiful art and an inspiring story. I'm so glad that she has become such a popular figure. It was really easy to find good books about her. My favorite of these books was Me, Frida. The illustrations are very reminiscent of Frida Kahlo's own work.

After I did this program I also discovered the wonderful Lil' Libros board books. They have a great little counting book inspired by Frida too: Counting with/Contando con Frida by Patty Rodriguez. This would be another great book to pull for a Frida Kahlo related program, especially if you anticipate having younger children there. It is a bilingual book and teaches some interesting vocabulary relevant to artists, like paint brushes and portraits, as well as the blue house, La Casa Azul, which is the name of Frida's home in Coyoacán Mexico and where the Frida Kahlo museum currently is!

For my Frida Kahlo art project examples click read more.

Art Project

I only had two kids show up for this session, but they were very enthusiastic! We talked about Frida Kahlo for a bit and looked at some of her art. One of the girls wanted to read a book so she read Little People, Big Dreams: Frida Kahlo to me. It was a nice change to be read to instead of doing the reading! I took a picture of each of the girls who attended the program with my phone, emailed them to my coworker and had her print them out so they would have good images to go off of for creating their art. After that we made self portraits with tempera paint on canvas paper. My example is the center one.


This was a really fun project, but the quality of the paints we have here at the library is pretty disappointing. It takes far too many layers of paint to get rich colors. I would like to get some better quality tempera paints in the future. If anyone has suggestions for brands that offer good color and coverage but are easily washable, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment