Thursday, March 2, 2017

Storytime: Dr. Seuss

Books

index.aspx index.aspx index.aspx
index.aspx index.aspx index.aspx

Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss
There’s a Wocket in my Pocket by Dr. Seuss
*Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? by Dr. Seuss
*The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss
Fox in Socks  by Dr. Seuss
Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now! by Dr. Seuss

Most Dr. Seuss books are pretty long for storytimes, but I managed to find some good options. The Foot Book and Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? both have great opportunities for interaction. The Foot Book can be a pretty good workout too with how many times you need to lift your feet in the air if you are acting it out!

Click read more for song and rhyme ideas.

Songs and Rhymes


Most of the Dr Seuss themed songs and rhymes I found were related to stories I decided not to share with this storytime since they were so long. Instead I decided to go with songs that were either silly and wacky, which is what I associate with Dr Seuss, or had good rhymes that reminded me of Dr. Seuss’s style. Activities marked with a * are the ones I used in the storytime.

Action Song: “Shake My Sillies Out”

I've gotta shake, shake, shake my sillies out
Shake, shake, shake my sillies out
Shake, shake, shake my sillies out
And wiggle my waggles away

I've gotta clap, clap, clap my crankies out
Clap, clap, clap my crankies out
Clap, clap, clap my crankies out
And wiggle my waggles away

I've gotta jump, jump, jump my jiggles out
Jump, jump, jump my jiggles out
Jump, jump, jump my jiggles out
And wiggle my waggles away

I’ve gotta stretch, stretch, stretch my stretchies out
Stretch, stretch, stretch my stretchies out
Stretch, stretch, stretch my stretchies out
And wiggle my waggles away

Source: Modified from Raffi

*Action Song: “Hokey Pokey”

You put your right foot in
You take your right foot out
You put your right foot in
And you shake it all about
You do the hokey pokey
And you turn yourself around
That's what it's all about!

Verses: Left foot, Right arm, Left arm, whole self


Source: Childhood

*Transition Rhyme: “Tall and Small”

When I stretch out, my arms are wide (stretch out)
When I bring them in, I can hide (Hide behind hands)
Wide, wide, wide, wide (reach to sides)
Hide, hide, hide, hide (hide behind hands)
Now they’re by my side (stand straight)

When I stretch up, I feel so tall. (Reach high)
When I bend down, I feel so small. (Bend over)
Taller, taller, taller, taller. (Reach up high and higher.)
Smaller, smaller, smaller, smaller. (Get low on the floor)
Into a tiny ball. (Sit down)

Source: I pulled this from the box of rhymes the previous youth services librarian left. I'm not sure where it originated.

I split it into two parts and used the first verse for one transition and the second verse for another.

Flannelboards and Fingerplays

Fingerplay: “Cats in hats”

One little cat in a sunny day
Put on his hat and went out to play.
Two little cats when it started getting dark
Put on their hats and went to the park.
Three little cats when the sky was blue
Put on their hats and went to the zoo.
Four little cats by the kitchen door
Put on their hats and went to the store.
Five little cats on a sunny day
Put on their hats and they all ran away.


Source: I found this on multiple storytime blogs but could find no original author

Flannelboard: “Fox in Socks”

A-hunting we will go (pat rhythm on legs)
A-hunting we will go (pat rhythm on legs)
We'll catch a fox
and put him in ______ socks (kids, call out the color when I hold the socks up)
and then we'll let him go! (shoo the fox away so he can have fun in his new socks!)


Source: Storytime with Miss Tara

I was going to do this super cute flannelboard, but sadly I didn't have time to make a new flannel for this week because I've been busy moving to a new house! Instead I went with the old favorite "Mouse in the House" since that's a pretty Seuss-y rhyme too. After all, he rhymes Mouse and House in both Green Eggs and Ham and Hop on Pop.


*Flannelboard: “Mouse in the House”

Little mouse, little mouse are you in the (color) house?

Mouse in the House is always a favorite. I'm glad I have a set for it now!

Craft


Wacky hat designs! I printed out these blank hat templates from A to Z teacher Stuff and let the kids decorate them with paper, stickers, and crayons. It was a very easy project for me to plan!



How it Went


There were a lot of younger children at the storytime today. Fortunately, there were a decent number of slightly older children as well who helped with the participation. Parents were great at participating today too! Today was the first time I got applause after reading stories, so I think that is a good sign! Most of the kids seemed pretty engaged and interested in what we were doing. They were wonderful at making noises with Mr. Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment